I : Leadership in Urban Climate Action
The focus is on initiatives that
reflects incorporation of climate change adaptation and mitigation addressing vulnerability and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions associated with cities.
Cochin International Airport became the first airport in the world to be fully powered by solar energy by commissioning a 12 MWp solar power plant. ECA lauds Cochin International Airport’s commitment to reduce its Carbon footprint and recognizes its leadership in Urban Climate Action.
- This is the first airport in the world to become fully powered by
- The top management is committed to
retainthis status and installing more solar plants to enhance the generation capacity in order to fulfill the increasing demand in near future due to the new international terminal coming up.
- It shows leadership of being first in the world from India.
- Other airports are taking the learning from CIAL and trying to replicate this initiative at their place to make a move towards solar.
The integrated decentralized solid waste management system introduced in the city of Panaji by The Corporation of the City of Panaji (CCP) has been able to achieve 100% source segregation. The efforts of Panaji have resulted in a landfill-free and bin-free city. The award acknowledges the CCP’s actions which have led to benefits like
- The Corporation of
Cityof Panaji has achieved 100% segregation and door to door collection of municipal solid waste management.
- The city is
landfill freeand all the waste generated is being disposed of by segregation at source, composting at society and decentralized level, maximizing the recovery of recyclable of waste by further segregation and selling the recyclables to the venders, sending the non-recyclable refuse to the cement kiln for co-incineration.
- Education and awareness and citizens participation was found to be very effective in this case.
Cityis free from the waste bin and citywas observed clean by the Jury also.
- The city is sustaining this practice of waste management for more than 10-15 years.
Cityis taking up many initiatives towards the environmentprotection and cleanliness.
- Jury member happens to be on a committee of Goa state related to the environment and observation is that
stateis taking many initiatives regarding the improvement of cityenvironment.
II : Innovations for climate protection
Focus is on development and use of innovative product or services which help reduce the greenhouse gas emissions.
Saguna Rural Foundation, led by Krishi Ratna Mr. Chandrashekhar Bhadsawale, has innovated the Saguna Rice Technique (SRT) of paddy cultivation. The technique contributes to
- Work done was commendable and the jury appreciated the efforts of an individual in developing the technique to this level.
- However, the jury has suggested that the carbon sequestration claim should be independently verified.
- The jury also acknowledged that the technique
savetime and Labour as no transplantationisrequired in this technique.
III : Community based mitigation and adaptation in water resources, agriculture, forestry and other land use
Focus is on initiatives related to conservation of water and land resources reflecting mitigation and adaptation goals aimed at increasing resilience of communities, to tackle challenges arising out of climate change.
Nature Environment and Wildlife Society’s (NEWS) initiative of engaging vulnerable communities has promoted mangrove regeneration, restoration
organisationhas worked extensively for ecosystem conservation in a fragile and highly vulnerable environment.
- There is a high level of community participation combined with
the rigorousscientific knowledge.
Practical Action, Bangladesh, innovated the Sandbar Cropping model, which has enabled poor and landless communities to access underutilized river sand bars for pumpkin cultivation. This initiative has put in place processes ranging from beneficiary identification to market research and market links. Communities in
Jurycommented that the programme was innovative and operates with the disadvantaged community in a vulnerable environment.